Follow us on

Monday, May 27, 2013 | 4:58 p.m.

In partnership with: daytondailynews.com

Web Search by YAHOO!

Find fun things to doin the Dayton, OH area

+ Add A Listing

Posted: 9:50 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 24, 2013

'The Invisible War' doesn’t win Best Documentary Oscar

Kori Cioca
Kori Cioca, a Warren County resident (pictured left), was the subject of documentary “The Invisible War." This film failed to grab the Oscar for Best Documentary Feature at the Academy Awards on Sunday.

By Amelia Robinson

Staff Writer

“The Invisible War,” a documentary that highlights the story of Lebanon resident Kori Cioca, failed to grab the Oscar for Best Documentary Feature at the Academy Awards on Sunday.

Cioca, 28, was to attend the ceremony with members of the team behind Kirby Dick’s film about sexual assaults in the military.

The film also spotlights Congressman Mike Turner, R-Centerville, and his work against sexual violence in the military.

Cioca was 20 years old in 2005 when she enlisted in the U.S. Coast Guard. She left in 2007 after a commanding officer raped her, she said. Cioca was severely traumatized by the attack that caused serious injury to her jaw.

After “The Invisible War” appeared at the Sundance Film Festival, where it received the U.S. Documentary Audience Award, Cioca began getting assistance for medical treatment through the Dobkin Family Foundation.

Cioca said “The Invisible War’s” producers worked hard to make the film a reality, and deserves the Oscar.

“It is an honor to stand next to them,” she said earlier this year.

Searching for Sugar Man won the Oscar for documentary feature Sunday.

More News

 

Find something to do

 

© 2013 Cox Media Group. By using this website, you accept the terms of our Visitor Agreement and Privacy Policy, and understand your options regarding Ad ChoicesAdChoices.